National Event Calendar for Professionals Serving Seniors – Click Here
Hope you find this month’s news and events for professionals serving seniors useful. Check out our Video Review where we are featuring a video series on the Affordable Care Act from Dennis Stretar. We also have a link to his Medicare Basics Video Series. Also our eNews Review includes some interesting articles and links. We were surprised to find the new government agency and website called Administration for Community Living (ACL). Those of us serving seniors need to see how this agency will “reduce the fragmentation that currently exists in Federal programs for seniors and those with disabilities.” And once again – it is not enough to do what you do for a living, you need to be aware of what is happening at the State and Federal level of government and voice your opinion to those elected to serve citizens and those citizens that own businesses.
Regards, Karin Hall and the SRG Team
Seniors Resource Guide’s Senior Business Connection
Senior Professional Blog
Insights for Professionals Serving Seniors from Senior Business Connection
Information for Seniors, their Families and Professionals
Below is a list of articles that caught our attention. In regard to articles dealing with political issues, if you like or don’t like what you are reading pick up the phone and call Washington D.C. and share a comment in your Facebook, LinkedIn or Google Circle. Please share both the positive and the negative in a constructive manner.
- Print verses Digital – how do you measure who is reading what online? – Click Here
- Congress looking for money from a “flu tax” – basically adding taxes to flu shots? – Click Here
- Meals on Wheels funding cut in Contra Costa County, California – Click Here
- The Administration for Community Living (ACL) launched their new website this year. This new ‘group’ is part of The Department of Health and Human Services and is supposed to reduce the fragmentation that currently exists in Federal programs addressing ‘community living services’ and support needs of both the aging and disability population. Their statement of organization lists more information about their functions and delegations. Here are some website links to learn more about this new Federal group:
Link to overview about ACL organization – Click Here
Link to Federal Register pdf dated 4-18-12 pages 23,250 through 23,260 which tells us what the Administration for Community Living (ACL) will be doing - Click Here
Link to Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) ‘Plain Writing’ Memo - Click Here
- Disability Claims Continues to Grow – Click Here
- Why does an MRI cost so much more in America verses France? – Click Here
- Here is a link to how to contact your government officials. This information is posted on Seniors Resource Guide –Click Here
We are always watching for interesting videos. Here are two video series from Dennis Stretar that may interest you:
- Navigating Healthcare Reform – Click Here
- Medicare Basics Video Series – Click Here
- Learn more about Dennis Stretar and Business Insurance Specialits
- Learn more about The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act straight from the Government
Small Business Administration (SBA) has extensive information about The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Resources cover the self-employed, employers with fewer than 25 employees, employers with fewer than 50 employees and employers with 50 or more employees – Learn More
- The Government’s Website on Alzheimer’s
Did you know that the Federal government has developed their own website on Alzheimer’s. Here are links to the government website on Alzheimer’s that is under the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and we have provided links to two Alzheimer’s websites belonging to non-profits.
Government Website: www.alzheimers.gov
Non-Profit Website: www.alz.org
Non-Profit Website: www.alzfdn.org
- Who Cares?
Joy C. Davidson, owner of Joyful Transitions, LLC has contributed an article for May entitled, “Who Care?” Please read Joy’s article and as Joy suggests “… if we link arms, caring for ourselves, each other, and our loved ones together we can and will thrive on the journey as we complete the most fulfilling task in life – walking with another through the end of their life’s journey!” – Read More
More on the Goodie Bag Contents
Let’s meet a few more companies found in the Goodies Bags:
- HC Pro – Long-Term Care Solutions
HCPro's Healthcare Marketplace is dedicated to providing the highest quality healthcare management resources. The products and services keep companies informed about the latest regulations and standards and provide insightful examples and advice from industry experts, along with effective solutions.
- Perkins + Will
Architectural firm focused on building communities that combine the comfort of home with hospitality amenities, innovative design and efficiency. Very interesting to see that they worked on a project in China and that there is a focus of building CCRC in urban areas.
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) and National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)
The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) provides statistics, data, and resources to monitor the health of older Americans, and to assess our health protection goals of increasing the number of older adults who live longer, high-quality, productive, and independent lives.
View statistics on older people's health – Click Here
View Use of Advance Directives in Long-term Care Populations – Click Here
View Residents Living in Residential Care Facilities: United States, 2010 – Click Here
- Crepidoma Consulting, LLC
Crepidoma Consulting provides pr4e-design, visioning, environment assessments along with strategic master planning services for developing senior communities. Jeffrey Anderzhon, a principal of the company, was a presenter at the LeadingAge meeting in Colorado in October 2012. Mr. Anderzhon has posted his presentation entitled “International Innovations in Aged Care Design” in his website.
View pdf of Presentation – Click Here
Who we are in 30 Seconds
- www.SeniorsResourceGuide.com – Find senior resources, news & events
- www.SeniorsEGuide.com – Educational Questions to Ask
- www.GoToSRG.com – Compatible with web-enabled Mobile
- www.MedicareBasicVideo.com – Four parts of Medicare (A, B, C & D) Simplified
- www.SeniorBusinessConnection.com – Networking and Media Resources
Explore our website and send us an email with your questions or call us!